Re: harp positions theory

Technically, positions have no "inherent" position.  In practice, though,
positions on diatonics generally lend themselves better to particular modes.

While it is possible to play 1st position (C ona C major diatonic) in minor
mode (and I do it fairly often), you'll find that *most* diatonic players
use 1st position for very major sounding tunes.

Second position (AKA crossharp) is generally thought of as "major", but most
blues players can (and do) play it as either major or minor (and frequently
both).  the difference is (generally) the 3D vs 3Db.

12th position is most often a major, but it can be played as a minor fairly
easily.

3rd position is most often minor, but I play it as a major when it suits my
purposes.  Likewise 4th, 5th, and 6th.

i use a valved diatonic.  It has valves (AKA windsavers) installed on all
the normally bendable reeds.  This allows me to bend the normally unbendable
reeds.  Of course this means that my harmonica is fully chromatic.

I have valved harp instructions and more details on my website,
http://www.ironmancurtis.com as well as lots of music featuring the valve
diatonic.

BTW some LIVE tunes by The IronMan Curtis BonTemps Blues Band:
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/WalkingToNewOrleans.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/PrettyWoman.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/StormyMonday.mp3
(and - hint hint - we're looking to tour)

Health care for blues musicians?  Sign the petition!
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/qd3d2222/petition.html

- -IronMan Mike Curtis http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues Magazine
http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm jam Starboard Attitude, Redondo pier
Last SUN, LARHA HarpJam, Tia Juanas, Irvine
6/11 10pm BB Kings, Universal Citywalk
6/18 7-11pm Mission Tobacco, Riverside CA