Re: ooops! (was 78s)

tom ball wrote:

> My apologies for that last (irrelevant) post -- that was meant to be
> sent to the Yahoo Post-War Blues group and got accidently sent to
> Harp-L....

Perhaps I can add a little harp content to this...

My father-in-law owns "Swaggie", a small jazz label based in Australia.
  He has, with the help of John R. T. Davies, re-mastered and
re-released a lot of old 78 material.  Most of it's trad jazz (that's
his bent), but he's also done two albums of Sleepy John Estes, which
features Hammie Nixon on quite a few tracks.

Listening to that music forced me into buying both an E *and* an Eb
harmonica, to try to deal with the pitch variations.  I assume the
tracks were actually performed in B, but some of them were definitely
nearer to Bb, and (dammit!) some were annoyingly in-between.

When I asked him about it, he acknowleged that there was a lot of
variation in the "recording speed" of those early recordings, but it was
something that he didn't feel obliged to "fix".  He (and John R. T.)
were a lot more concerned about getting the sound as clearly and
accurately off the old and fragile recordings, than worrying about
making them "concert pitch".

- --Tim Rose.