Re: Subject: re: blues organ players

>Rainbow Jimmy wrote:
>
>"I love playing blues organ music, but every time I've
>added harp it doesn't fit right."

   Could you please expound/expand on "It doesn't fit right"

>Yup, I agree.  Harp and organ seem to occupy the same
>tonal space.

   One is organ, the other is mouth-organ? The B3 would play "Under"
the harp (octave-wise), and the organist would hold off a little on
the punch while the harmonica was playing. At least that's the way
Jimmy MaGriff did it.

>  Since the organ tends to be "up front"
>and punchy, harp tends to get lost.

   That's when musicians have to come to an arrangement as to just
"who" is doing the HEAD and who is doing the flourishes.

>   When I am playing
>with an organ player, I try to use higher-pitched
>harps that cut through the B3 atmosphere.

   So do I, but the organ has more range and can just as easily go
"down" a little, OR play on the sub-dominant (harmony).

>A harp player's throat tremolo is just a poor man's
>Lesley speaker.

  Yes, I LIKE that!...........smokey-joe