Re: Chicago Blues Festival

The CBF was a great time as usual, despite the less than perfect weather.
Charlie Musselwhite sounded as soulful as ever, both with the Barry Goldberg
reunion band on the Front Porch Stage in the afternoon, and later with his own
band on the main stage for the evening performance. Unfortunately, the rain which
threatened to fall all day, finally came during Charlie's set, driving all
but the hard core audience members from the bandshell. On the main stage Charlie
followed Willie Kent and the Gents, one of the best local blues bands on the
scene in the city today. Willie took the WC Handy award this year for best
bass player and his band lays down rock solid, in-the-pocket Chicago blues. WK
has an outstanding young guitarist named Guy King who, as Willie said, has a
serious bad case of the blues. No harp in the band but they've got a great sound
in spite of that obvious handicap.

The Barry Goldberg Reunion Band was a real treat. Keybordist Goldberg who had
played with Paul Butterfield and was founding member of The Electric Flag had
a who's who of 60's Chicago Blues luminaries on stage with him. The band
included Butter alums Sam Lay on drums and guitarist Nick Gravenites ("Born In
Chicago") plus Harvey Mandell on smokin' guitar, and Bob Stroger on bass. TWO,
count 'em, TWO harmonica players: the afore mentioned Charlie Musselwhite and
Chicago harp legend Corkey Siegel shared the harp chair. Both Charlie and Corkey
taking turns on harp did a great job and fully lived up to their reputations,
in spite of the fact that Corkey had some sound problems at first, and that,
on more than one occasion Mr. Mandell stepped on their harp solos with his
searing (and LOUD) guitar playing. (Yes, it even happens at that level.) Charlie,
backed the great singer Tracy Nelson on "Back to Mother Earth" with some
extremely soulful harp work towards the end of the set. BTW, Charlie was this
year's recipient of the Blues Foundation's "Howlin' Wolf Award" which celebrates
the migration of blues from the Delta to Chicago. He was presented the award at
the start of his evening set.

I did catch a bit of Rob Stone and the C-Notes, but they were on another
stage at the same time as the Goldberg band so it was a little hard to tear away
for other acts. From what I did hear, Rob Stone plays a solid jump style
harmonica and has a tough little band backing him up. That Harp King amp is a
monster.

Regards to all,

T. Albanese