Re: Blues Organ Players

JP,
    Looks like your keeping good company, those are some fine choices your
listening too!
Your right Naftalin did a a great job with Butterfield and in Better Days,
Ronnie Barron played some of the tastiest grooves ie: "The New Walkin'
Blues" and "Broke my baby's Heart" are real organ gems.

    Check out all the early Paul Delay stuff with Organist, Louis Pain, he
is one of my favorite "Blues" organ players that really sounds great behind
harp players. I recently had the pleasure to play and record with him in
Oregon and the record is listed on my Web site. It's called "Purdie good
Cookin'" we do some Junior Walker, James Brown and King Curtis tunes
featuring Pain on Organ and Bernard Purdie on drums.

     Although there is no harp on it, a must have is the CD  King Curtis
"Live at the Fillmore West", a young Billy Preston does a heck of a job on
Organ chores!! There's even a smokin' version of the Zeppelin version of
"Whole lotta Love". also a killer version of  "Memphis Soul Stew"!!

     At the Minneapolis Harp Summit lots of great harp players like Turk,
Meurkens, Masterson and Toots and a bunch of Diatonic players I can't recall
right now, got to play with the late GREAT Organist, Brother Jack McDuff.h

     Don't forget about some of Van Morrison's recordings with Georgie
Fame....nice Organ work and Van even blows some harp,-))!!

    A few years ago I did a gig with Organist Larry Goldings and Drummer
B.Purdie and myself, it was really a lot of fun doing a trio gig with Organ,
Harp and Drums.....I think Harmonica and Organ can really work if the band
has a concept of the sound and chooses the right tunes etc.....good
luck...hope this helps....rob paparozzi