Re: Cheap affordable amp

The Pignose isn't the best harp amp I've ever played through, but it will
certainly get the job done, just as any battery amp with enough volume and
gain will.  If it's all you can afford, and has enough volume (I assume
you're working with either acoustic or similarly volumed electric
musicians), your choices are pretty much limited to this.  I find it works
well with Green Bullet type mics.  The volume will be considerably less than
your 15 watt amp.  You can compensate to some extent by putting it at "ear"
level.

There are also some smaller battery powered amps that are good for
harmonica, such as the mini Fenders and Marshalls.  They're cheaper, too,
although not as loud.

I know you only asked about the Pignose - but I thought I'd explore some
other options for battery operation.  I've tried to keep this reasonably
nontechnical, and just include the numbers I think are too important to
omit.

Another option is an inverter, a large 12 volt deep cycle battery (this is
VERY important - a car battery isn't well suited for repeated deep
discharging), and deep cycle battery charger to power your existing amp.
This converts 12 volts into mains AC.  Inverters here in the USA are very
inexpensive.  Get a large enough battery and inverter and you can power a
Marshall stack, or a whole band.

Check your amplifiers "voltamp" rating (or get the maximum amp draw and
multiply it by your mains voltage), and use THIS number to determine the
wattage of the inverter.

Also, figure the voltamp-hour rating of the battery, which is 12 volts times
the battery's amp-hour rating.  For a 100 AH battery, this would be (100 *
12= 1200 =)1200 voltamp-hours.

If your amps voltamp rating is, let's say, 300 voltamps, make sure your
inverter is rated at MORE than 300 watts continuous.  Why?  Because stuff
happens.  You might set it on a blanket or carpet (which eliminates that
surface as a heat radiator), someone else may plug into your inverter
without asking, something may get sucked up and block a vent, or any number
of other contingincies.  Buying one larger inverter is cheaper than buying
several smaller ones.

If your amp is 300 voltamps, and your battery is 1200 voltamp-hours, it will
theoretically run for four hours (1200 VAH/300VA).

In practice, there are many factors that affect these numbers.  All
inverters have a conversion ineffeciency.

Some (the modern small "switching" types) are ~90% efficient, and are either
sine wave or psuedo-sine wave.

Some older ones, larger units, are square wave (unsuitable for music amps)
and MUCH less efficient (and less reliable; I highly recommend avoiding
these at all cost!)

Some amps  (like class A tube amps) draw a fairly consistent current.  Class
AB tube amps draw a lot for heating the tubes, and draw maximum power at
higher volumes.

Analog solid state amps draw more as you play louder, and much less power
overall than tube amps.

And some solid state switching amps (like the Carvin Stagemate, and probably
a lot of other higher powered battery amps) are *extremely* efficient,
converting most of the power into sound.  For example, the very efficient 60
watt Carvin Stagemate will run about four hours at "average volume and duty
cycle" on a 12 volt 7 AH battery, and about 2 hours with two cabs (100
watts).

Without getting into the math, use this to "guesstimate" what you need.

The downside is, lead acid batteries are HEAVY, and unless you buy the  more
expensive sealed type (used for wheelchairs and such), they can leak
sulfuric acid if dropped, tipped, etc.

BTW some LIVE tunes by The IronMan Curtis BonTemps Blues Band:
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/WalkingToNewOrleans.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/PrettyWoman.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/StormyMonday.mp3
(and - hint hint - we're looking to tour)

Health care for blues musicians?  Sign the petition!
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/qd3d2222/petition.html

- -IronMan Mike Curtis http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues Magazine
http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm jam Starboard Attitude, Redondo pier
Last SUN, LARHA HarpJam, Tia Juanas, Irvine 5/30 Stagger Inn, Bellflower CA
6/11 10pm BB Kings 6/18 7-11pm Mission Tobacco, Riverside CA