Modal playing - was psychedelic harp 101

In a message dated 7/31/03 10:58:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sixtiesjazz@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> It makes the creative process  simpler then trying
> to create fresh lines over constant chord changes.

Not necessarily.

When Miles Davis ushered in the modal jazz revolution (with Kind of Blue), it
proved very challenging for musicians to be creative and craft long lines or
extended solos over what was basically one chord for long periods of time.
(This is according to the musician's biographies, autobiographies, the <making of
the Kind of Blue recording> books I've read and my own experiences as a
musician).

It is also much easier to get lost within the form of a modal tune, as you
don't have those ii-V-I cadences and turnarounds to point out where you are.

The Iceman