Re: Fwd: Re: Harp in Brazilian 'Jazz' / Flamenco

>     Try Hendrik Meurkens if you want someone who can REALLY play.
>Although German, he grew up in Brasil. Now lives in N.Y. (also plays
>vibes)..smokey
>
>====
>
>Actually, he grew up in Germany with Dutch parents, moved to Brazil
>and married a Brazilian woman, then moved to New York because it was
>the center of jazz. He's recorded a couple of all-Brazilian albums,
>but the rest of his fairly prolific output has ranged across the
>entire face of jazz.
>
>There are a few other Brazilian players in the jazz area but I'm not
>recalling names- I'll do some digging when I have the time and report
>back.
>
>Winslow

   Ah, we get old and our memory gets fuzzy.

   Don't doubt for a minute what you're saying.

  This is what I remember from speaking with him on several occasions.
He used to come to Pgh quite often, As a matter of fact, he recorded
some CDs there at the Manchester Craftsmans Guild. A couple of my
friends were in the "back-up". He would later stop in at the
Pittsburgh Jazz Society, where he would sometimes speak &/or answer
questions (and OF COURSE play).

   I was given the impression that although his parents were Dutch, he
was (Technically) a German citizen, did move to Brasil but he wasn't
a grown up YET, spend several yrs there and married a Brazillian
girl. While his early albums have a Brazillian "Flavor", HE did a lot
of the composing and they aren't what *I* would call TRUE Brazillian.
The flavor is heavy enough though that anyone liking music from this
part of the world (Like ME) "should" enjoy this guy.

And, YES, his later albums gravitate to Jazz. I (personally) would
have wished that he played more traditional Jazz (from the start).
When he would appear at Bobby Cardillo's "Club Cafe" in Pittsburgh,
he pretty much stayed AWAY from the So. American stuff and
concentrated on AMERICAN/French styles. (A smart move, to be sure).
He has done OK for himself as his address is 254 Park Ave, N.Y. (nice
bldg.)

   I have no financial interest in Hendrik, I just like to give him a
plug now and then. (Chuckles & Grinns)..........JoJo