Stevie Wonder/Toots

Otto has just earned a place on my do-not-read list.  Is it proper to heap
disrespect on many of the finest players of our instrument (some of whom are
members of this List) because of the perceived disrespect by another of one
of the greats?

I am almost certain that no disrespect was intended by the original writer.
Otto himself admits that Toots's last name is often spelled incorrectly in
print.

Maybe it's just me, but basic notions of respect, decorum, and effective
communication would seem to require that we meet issues head on. Try this:
"One of the greatest players of our instrument, living or dead, constantly
suffers the indignity of having his last name misspelled.  It is spelled
'Thielemans.'  I believe that showing him proper respect requires that we
spell it correctly."

Would I make my point any stronger by insulting Otto or showing disrespect
for the players he loves?

George