Re: Circle of 5ths in 30 min [was Re: Key sign language (minimal harp)]

In a message dated 7/26/03 Steve writes:

<< sorry i wasn't clear.  what i meant was that most of the people i play
with
 don't think in those terms...how many sharps or flats, or of using the c o'
 5ths in that way.  some of 'em, if i put up three fingers, would think i
meant
 key of e because extending three fingers  looks like an "E".  i've seen guys
use
 an unconnected circle made with the thumb and index finger to mean "C", and
 index and middle pointing down with the other index finger crossing for "A".

 these all really happened! >>

Hey! I do that sometimes in a jam situation.

In the band gigs I've played, there is usually a set list or we know what key
the band plays a certain song in.

In a jam situation, I simply call keys by their letter names verbally, as
many professional musicians do. (listen to Lester Butler with the Red Devils on
the King King CD setting up "Cross Your Heart" â?¦ "B flat, Sonny Boy, slow blues
from the V" or Eric Clapton calling out key changes on The EC Was Here CD cut
 "Have You Ever Loved a Woman" ... "E!,"  "F sharp!")

If my verbal call of key by letter name ("A") leads to one or more of the
(somewhat deaf) players  saying "what?" I'll repeat they key verbally and make a
hand sign that looks like the letter.

I guess I'm just a pretty unsophisticated blues guyâ?¦..

Andy Vincent