Re: Key sign language (minimal harp)

>Mudharp@xxxxxxx  says:
> What I THINK he meant was the NUMBER OF SHARPS OR FLATS IN EACH KEY
can represent the key itself. That number is unique > to each key,
right? The number of sharps or flats increase by 1 each time you move
forward or backwards respecfully from C in  > the circle of 5ths. C
has no sharps or flats so it's represented by a neutral fist. One
finger up = 1 sharp: key of G. Two fingers up > = 2 sharps: key of D.
One finger down = one flat: key of F. Two fingers down = 2 flats: key
of Bb......and so on.

> Is this right? It seems to make sense. Has anyone else out there
used this method of communicating keys on stage? I feel like I
> learned something new. New to me anyway.

Yes, that's right.
My mom played piano - she never called a key by name - she'd say "it's
3 flats", etc. - Took me a while to get it. I guess it's a "natural"
(no pun intended) way for a keyboard player to think of it - all those
black & white keys.

Never seen the sign-language version used personally, but I think it's
a pretty cool way to communicate the key in a noisy environment (or
where you don't want to be heard screaming BEE-FLAT! just before
playing a heartfelt ballad...

- -Scorcher