Key sign language (minimal harp)

This past Monday night I was invited on very short notice to fill in for the
regular harp player in the house band hosting the Monday jam at Buddy Guy's in
Chicago. The regular cat had called in sick. I said yes, and 3 hours later I
was on stage. There was a set list but I didn't know the keys to the songs. I
asked the band leader to please be sure and let me know the keys. He asked if
I knew "key sign language" (?????) I said "uhhhmm, no, what's key sign
language?". He said "neutral fist for C, and one finger up for 1 sharp, 2 fingers up
for 2 sharps, one finger down for 1 flat, 2 fingers down for 2 flats and so
on." Feeling vaguely stupid I said, "you'd better just give it to me verbally".
He smiled and said, OK, and the night went pretty smoothly.

I went home thinking about what exactly he meant though. Now I think I know.
Yesterday I was hanging out with a good friend and we talked about it, and
then it hit me! What I THINK he meant was the NUMBER OF SHARPS OR FLATS IN EACH
KEY can represent the key itself. That number is unique to each key, right? The
number of sharps or flats increase by 1 each time you move forward or
backwards respecfully from C in the circle of 5ths. C has no sharps or flats so it's
represented by a neutral fist. One finger up = 1 sharp: key of G. Two fingers
up = 2 sharps: key of D. One finger down = one flat: key of F. Two fingers
down = 2 flats: key of Bb......and so on.

Is this right? It seems to make sense. Has anyone else out there used this
method of communicating keys on stage? I feel like I learned something new. New
to me anyway.

T. Albanese