Re: Jazz on diatonic, was Re: Dying artform

AVANTE GARDE: In the visual arts "avante garde" is used to tag whatever is
most current (whether an evolving, valid movement or just a trend). I'm not
the guy to ask about what is currently considered "avant garde" in jazz. I
go up to about the mid 1970's and stop there.

FREE JAZZ: Late John Coltrane ("Stellar Regions" or "Transition" for
example) or Ornette Coleman ("Free Jazz" or "The Complete Science Fiction
Sessions") usually jumps into most people's minds first. If you ever hear a
guitarist named Derek Bailey you are most definitely listening to free form
jazz. He tends to use the guitar as a sound apparatus more than a western
musical instrument. Hell, whether it's even jazz is a valid contention.