re: Butterfield (was OVERBLOWING-"the 8-track of techniques"-NOT!!!!!!)

this is a very minor quibble, but Paul Butterfield was
not, as you say "formally unschooled" in his
"musicality." Butterfield studied classical flute from
an early age, eventually studying with the first chair
flautist of the Chicago Symphony while in highschool.
His parents were apparently fans of classical and jazz
music.

http://entertainment.msn.com/artist/?artist=115950

while i certainly agree that, in theory, the broader
your ability the more opportunities you have for
expression, in practice we often find that art thrives
on limitations (technical or otherwise). this isn't to
say any musician should intentionally hobble their
abilities (though sometimes narrowing your scope can
produce sublime results: haiku or sonnets, for
example. i'm sure there are similar musical examples),
but it is to say that more isn't always better. and
sometimes, when faced with less, we are forced to make
more out of it.

    --Jp

now let's all stop arguing and go back to practicing! :)