Re: mic cord

Folks,  Been reading the mail here since 1/03 thought I would offer my
2-semitones on the DIY mic.

Here's an attemp at making a harp mic out of a el cheapo plactic shower head
replacement from Depot. Found in the bargin bin for 50 cents!

http://users.codenet.net/n0tu/images/HARP/HBJT30.JPG
http://users.codenet.net/n0tu/images/HARP/GBandJT30.JPG

It's almost featherweight compared to the GB. A MC151 (JT30) crystal was
used although you could fit most any element inside. Maybe even the RS
condenser mics w9Vdc battery. A piece of nylon window screen painted black
and a scrap of the ladie's red hankie seals up the 'grill'. Makes for a
tight cup and NICE tone! The rubber looking cork sticking in the mounting is
just that! Could not find a suitable cover or plug for the hole. Stuck the
cork in as a dust plug! Discovered with cork out the mics respone changes to
less compressed. with it in - more compression!(DOH) Fun project. No volume
control - keeps life simple! Another discovery was my 1/4 phone plug was
shorting to the element's solder connections. So I taped the back of the mic
element w/electrical tape. Change the response to lil' more bassy? (could be
my imagination?). More bassy on a crystal mic doesn't hurt anything IMHO!

My pursuit of harpin' and 'tone' is only 6-months new! Wishing now that my
40 years in ham radio was spent on the harp. But life is full of adventures
and so far this harp journey is nothing but FUN. Besides audio frequencies
are something everyone can relate to and enjoy compared to RF!

SteveG