Homemade Valves

I recently added homemade valves to my Marine Band F-harp.  I only valved the
bottom six holes and it appears to work very well - I'm blow bending like mad
on the bottom six.

The problem is that my harp is now playing flat.  Is that a result of: 1)
physically having valves on the harp; 2) poor technique that has become
apparent now that the valves are installed; or, 3) have I inadvertantly
adjusted the reeds somehow?

I was very careful in attaching my homemade valves to the reed plate so I don't
THINK I got any glue on the reed, or bent the reed in any way.  Has anyone come
across this problem before?  If so, any suggestions on how I can correct the
problem or at least avoid the problem in the future would be greatly
appreciated?  I realise I can retune my harp by scraping the reeds, but I'm
really hopeing there's a better way.

Thanks,