Re: If I could do it all over...

gonz1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<  I have had discussions with several overblowers and players who do not
use this technique and I have also heard many of the songs that have been
attempted using the overblow technique and this one style of playing is not the only
end to the means.  Bill brings up an excellent point when he stated the use
of special tuned harps and a chromatic.  I know that is a dirty word to the
overblow purists out there but after hearing the intonation and articulation that
is attempted and sometimes not achieved, as far as using the overblow
technique and having nothing else in one's arsenal, I am not buying it.

i agree that all techniques and harps are valid, and should be considered and
explored if it fits your musical endeavors.
still, i think we need folks like levy, michalek, etc who are commited to
pursuing an idea, a concept, a technique to it's logical conclusion and beyond.
that can only lay the groundwork for a new generation who will wonder what all
the fuss is about these overblows used to be, since they will be as much a
part of the arsenal as "normal" bends.  i look forward to that day.

<< If you are going to be a professional or just playing for personal
enjoyment, learning to play the harmonica is what your final goal should be and not
trying to prove that you are able to play something difficult in an overblow
style and then getting it wrong.  If you are ever in a situation that you are
playing with other musicians who are all in tune and are achieving correct
intonation and you are not, they will thank you for your time and send you on your
way.  And at the same time they will think twice about letting harmonica
players sit in with their band again.  I have seen this happen too many times at
too many jam sessions.  >>

i'm pretty sure intonation problems aren't the biggest offenses by harp
players at jams.  try overplaying, stepping on other people, and not understanding
music, in general.
in fact, i'm the only harp player i know in my area that even tries to
incorporate overblows, and that's on a small scale.
i'll agree that if ~i~ tried to use overblows extensively, it would sound
like crap, and other players would be right in not wanting to play with me.

<< Overblows; add them to what you do? Yes.  Playing Chromatic; add it to
what you do? Yes.  Special tuned harps; add them to what you do? Yes.  . >>

can't argue that.

ironman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< You know, it's hard enough choosing the lesser traveled road.  There are
 plenty of critics and naysayers, and most people won't "get it".  We in the
 harmonica community should encourage those who choose to further our
 instrument.  After all, it benefits all of us. >>

as mike said earlier in his post, honest criticism is valid.  but too many
folks dismiss things outside of a narrow framework...someone once told me that
overblows were a "parlor trick".
you don't have to like it, but don't dismiss it out of hand.  as mike said,
in the long run, it can only help us all.

steven j gatorman