Re: If I could do it all over...

Excellent post Roger, I couldn't agree more.

Roger wrote:
<snip>
"> I have had discussions with several overblowers and players who do not
use this technique and I have also heard many of the songs that have been
attempted using the overblow technique and this one style of playing is not
the only end to the means.  Bill brings up an excellent point when he stated
the use of special tuned harps and a chromatic.  I know that is a dirty word
to the overblow purists out there but after hearing the intonation and
articulation that is attempted and sometimes not achieved, as far as using
the overblow technique and having nothing else in one's arsenal, I am not
buying it.<"

Me neither, I spent the better part of a decade practising my overblows and
overdraws as well as harp modifications in order to facilitate and enhance
this technique.  Bottom line is, at least for me, it isn't the answer to all
our musical contexts. And while there are some extremely talented
overblowers I have yet to hear one that can play eloquently in all generes
of music. Of course the reverse of this is true as well as far as chromatic
players are concerned.

<snip>
> Being a student of harmonica master Eddie Gordon for 13 years has opened
my eyes to the possibilities using diatonics and chromatics in one's "bag of
tricks" as Norton Buffalo calls it.  Why does Tommy Morgan carry a suitcase
of harmonicas with him?  The right harmonica for the right job.

Bingo again!!!  Pretty well selft explanatory.

<snip>
> If you are going to be a professional or just playing for personal
enjoyment, learning to play the harmonica is what your final goal should be
and not trying to prove that you are able to play something difficult in an
overblow style and then getting it wrong.  If you are ever in a situation
that you are playing with other musicians who are all in tune and are
achieving correct intonation and you are not, they will thank you for your
time and send you on your way.  And at the same time they will think twice
about letting harmonica players sit in with their band again.  I have seen
this happen too many times at too many jam sessions.<

Yup, seen it happen too many times, the above paragraph really ties in with
recent posts regarding no respect for harmonica players, etc, etc.   Bottom
line is here....practise, practise, hit the wood shed, and I also think it
would be a good idea if more harmonica players listened to other
instruments/musicians.  After the initial informative years where a beginner
is trying to digest and assimulate/imitate all his harmonica heroes, there
comes a point where one must break away and become one's own player. There
are way too many copycats out there.

<snip>
> The overblow technique is something that is here to stay and SHOULD be
added to one's abilities but it is not, and shouldn`t be thought of as the
only way and certainly not the best way to play a particular song because of
the potential to be "more expressive." Come on! Give me a frickin' break!!!!
> If anyone thinks the overblow technique is the only way to be more
expressive, think again.  Go and listen to Toots and Paul deLay and tell me
about being expressive.<

Agree again!  This type of attitude that seems to prevail in some circles is
just pure bunk, as well as self-limiting.  I mean, to each their own but as
far as I am concerned it's not the be-all and end-all.  And if you give a
real careful listen I think you might tend to agree.

>snip>
> Overblows; add them to what you do? Yes.  Playing Chromatic; add it to
what you do? Yes.  Special tuned harps; add them to what you do? Yes.
> Resigning yourself to the fact that any and all of these harps and
techniques are going to take time but will be oh so worth it?  You bet!!
> Don`t put all of your musicial eggs in one basket.  Versatility is an
asset not a liability.

Agree, agree, agree. Amen!!
 Respectfully,

Derrick Foley with a bunch of baskets.