RE: Dying art form was Re: Jazz on diatonic

> From: "Scorcher" <s_c_o_r_c_h_e_r@xxxxxxx>
> > How about Stevie Wonder?

> Mike Curtis answers:
> Yup - he's a wonderful R&B artist.  But that's hardly "jazz",

Well... it's hardly R&B either...

- -Point taken, Mike ;-)

But, on the "Dying Art form" portion of this thread, I submit that it would
be difficult for the astute Jazz or *Popular-music* fan to name many of
those well-known (to us Harmonica Enthusiasts) players - But SW's name would
probably occur to most listeners.

My point?

There are some phenomenal musicians in our circle - all of us here know
that.

Our instrument is well-represented to the public; both in breadth -
Jazz-bluegrass-classical-etc., and in depth, or "penetration" (-you can't
have the TV or Radio on for more than 10 minutes without hearing harmonica
in the background of a commercial or TV show).

Nonetheless - the instrument is terribly low-profile - ask the
"person-on-the-street" to name a (living) harmonica player. Unless they're a
fan of blues, they could probably name more DRUMMERS than *harmonicists*.
;-)

- -But, of the *average* folks who CAN name a living *harmonicist*, how many
know SW?
How many know Howard Levy? Even Robert Bonfiglio?

I don't mean to close on a negative - I really LOVE this instrument, I just
think we have so much to offer it's a SHAME more people (in the western
world) aren't hearing about it.

- -Scorcher
"Or do I owe you an apology?"
- -Agent J, MIB