Re: Jazz on diatonic, was Re: Dying artform

From: "Tim Moyer" <wmharps@xxxxxxxxx>

> Mike Curtis wrote:
>
> > Of course there are the select few.  There always will be.  But
> > relatively speaking, there's not much demand.  And of the folks
> > you mention, how many are full time musicians, without (non-
> > musical) day jobs?
> >
> > Demand?  Sure.  LOTS of demand, nope.
>
> One might argue there isn't "LOTS" of demand for any kind of jazz,
> not just harmonica.

You'll get no argument from me.  Sure, the few remaining big names gig a
lot, but most languish in poverty, or need to have day jobs to make ends
meet.  Jazz used to be much more popular.  It's been waning steadily for the
past 25 years.  And even back then, it wasn't *that* popular.  Back in the
late 60's, in Musicians Union local 47 (Hollywood CA), a horn player put a
note on the "musicians available" board that read "Wanted - jazz gig - must
pay at least $300 per week".  That was our big "insiders joke".

 -- mike