Re: Dying artform

The ZZ-Top Harmonica Tribute band has not been recorded yet. The reality of
the matter is that each of the three of us are learning to play our
orchestral harmonicas as we go and we all live over 1,000 miles from each
other.

The cool part about the distance is that we each plan to learn enough on
both chord and bass harmonicas to back any lead player that can belt out
Texas and Classic Rock tunes (Chrom or short) whenever two of us are in the
same room. The natural upshot of this will be when each of us learn enough
about the orchestral instruments to teach local folks how to play one or
both.

Harmonica bands doing intrumental Rock-N-Roll covers with some serious
acoustic roots and blues thrown in for good measure. Sounds like fun to me.

I'm already doing instrumental versions of every genre from bluegrass to
Euro-trance in my little One-Man Harmonica shows at fairs and festivals out
here in the Northwest using either self-created backing tracks or a
four-piece live band, depending on event budget. It is a natural extension
to eventually turn it into an all-harmonica affair.

I humbly suggest that we each aquire an orchestral harmonica and learn to
play it in our chosen genre at least enough to jam with a small circle of
friends. ANY style will work if pursued. I've recently  started a small
harmonica club up here in Idaho that has members ranging in age from 8 to
86. We hope that by next summer that we'll be able to do some public
performances as a club.

I'm booked during SPAH this year (Owyhee County Fair), but hope to make it
in 2004. Does anybody know the dates and locations for 2004 yet? Since it's
right in the middle of fair season out west, I need to plan in advance.
Heck, I'm even missing the Yellow Pine Harmonica Contest this year due to
performance commitments, but it's a good problem to have, getting paid to do
something I love!

Practice lots, and perform often...

Regards,
The Harmaniac? Dennis M. Cooper