The North tlantic Blues Festival-long

Here's a link for photos of the North Atlantic Blues Festival last weekend
in Rockland, ME.

http://rockland.villagesoup.com/AandE/Story.cfm?StoryID=16429

There were so many bands but this harp-l not blues-l so I'll just mention
the harp players.

The lineup was stellar. Jerry Portnoy played on Saturaday with the Boston
Blues Explosion Jay Geils, Darrel Nulisch, and David Maxwell. I saw Jerry
years ago when he was playing with Muddy Waters, but I didn't really know
anything about Chicago blues back then. I kept looking for the sax player.
Jerry's tone was perfect. His phrasing was exquisite. A consumate musician
and one of the best harp players on the planet. He played one of his
original slow pretty jazz tunes. Very cool. He played a Sonny Boy Williamson
song and somehow managed to play the original lick note for note and yet it
still sounded like Jerry. I intend to swipe some licks.Jay Geils guitar
playing was great. A reief from the relentless Stevie Ray Vaughnabees. David
Maxwell's piano playing has to be seen to be believed. The man can boogie
woogie like no one's business.It was nice to see a band with harp where the
harp player wasn't the front man. I never heard of Darrell but his singing
was tremendous.It was also nice to see a band playing the real old 40s
Chicago blues.

Otis Rush closed the festival Saturday night. If a harp player can't learn
something watching Otis Rush, there's something wrong.Tone and phrasing were
spot on.

There were bands playing in the all the pubs. $35.00 gets you into two days
of the festival and a free pass into all the bars. Highlights were the Blues
Prophets, local folks from Rockland. I didn't catch the harp player's name,
but he could play.Not Jerry Portnoy, but definately pro level. Boston based
Gate Street Band also had an excellent harp player. Good showmanship. Lots
of energy. Plenty of chops.

The next day, Curtis Salgado played. I never heard of Curtis so I was
properly blown away. First off, hi sband can turn on a dime. I heard this
sound like a synthesizer and it was Curtis playing these jazz riffs on the
harp with the guitar player doubling the notes. Perfectly in sync, stops
starts, slow down, speed up. The band was a machine. Ugliest rhythm section
in the world. Curtis does it all. His stage presence is great. His singing
is outrageous and his harp playing was jaw dropping. Very original licks
with tone to die for.One of the best shows I ever saw.

Hard to top Curtis, but Charlie did it. Charlie Musselwhite came loaded for
bear. He had 15,000 people on their feet screaming for a ripping hour set.He
knew Jerry and Curtis had played earlier so he had something to prove.  He'd
start out a Little Walter Off the Wall type of shuffle and throw in notes I
never heard on the little diatonic. I'm still looking for those high
octaves. Jerry Portnoy sounded like a sax. Charlie sounded like an organ.
Tone and phrasing were perfect and he showed a technical brilliance that was
unbelievable. I've seen Charlie play before, but never like this. The guy
was on fire. His band was excellent, with the exception of the piano player
who needs a little more seasoning.

I heard a lot of harp playing over the weekend and I'd say the future of the
harmonica is looking pretty good. In fact Curtis, Jerry, and Charlie were as
good as any harp player I've ever heard.Innovative riffs, excellent tone,
good showmanship. This is the golden age of harmonicas.

Gear note-Charlie played a shure mic (not a unisphere some stick mic with a
black ball) into a Fender blues deville. Curtis played what looked like a
Sennheiser vocal mic but I couldn't see the amp. Jerry had a Victoria
Bassman.Jerry also wins the award for best dressed. Man I'd like a pair of
those boot.s

Rainbow Jimmy