Re: Band Finances

Regarding option #3...there is a much easier way.  If you can't get the club
to issue separate checks, and the band doesn't want to take turns doing the
collecting...simply fill out a Schedule C with your tax return, marked as
"hobby income", and on the "wages" line deduct from the amount on your 1099
the amount paid out to band members.  This will leave your actual income
from the band, from which you can deduct whatever you've spent throughout
the year on legitimate band expenses.
IMPORTANT:  you CANNOT deduct a loss for hobby income on your return, only
zero it out at best.  But you wont' owe much (or any) tax on it, I'm sure.
I'm an accountant by day and have been doing this on my taxes, and several
musician friends, for several years.

Hambone