Re: electric vs acoustic

Allen wrote:
> I can appreciate what everyone has expressed on this topic, but I
> would still emphasize acoustic practice over amplified practice for
> several reasons.
<snip>

and Steve responded:
> i don't think most folks would argue this. but it's unlikely that
> [Little Walter] viewed amplified playing merely as a louder version
> of his acoustic playing. his playing was certainly effected by that
> amplified sound.

Anyone with any doubt as to way great players approach acoustic playing should
listen to the NPR Kim Wilson interview broadcast last weekend (linked here:
http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1305432.html).  At one point
about 1:30 into the broadcast, the interviewer (Scott Simon) asks about some of
the harps "Mr. Wilson" has in his bag, and is demonstrated the difference
between the double plate and "regular" harps, and the difference in tone he can
get between the two is just phenominal.  While I doubt that it is only the
double plates -- he very likely tries to make them sound different -- it's a
testimony to the amount of control a player has over his tonal quality before
any amplification comes into the mix.

- -tim