Traveling Musicians and airport security

Last week, I flew from Orlando to Detroit and back with my full set of
harmonicas, effects box,  mic, cords, mixer in a small metal case and organ module.

The larger items were packed in a large suitcase. The smaller items were
carry on in a backpack and small briefcase.

I put a note in my suitcase stating that enclosed was music equipment.
Because of the mixer and all the cords, an employee of the airline told me that the
suitcase would definitely be opened and examined after x-ray. The carry on
luggage was all pulled to the side at the security check point and examined. When
the guard called out "Musical Equipment" to his superior, everything was
closed up and allowed to pass.

The process added another 5 minutes to my boarding time. The way to best
expedite this situation is to allow the security to do what they do and comply
with their requests, answering only when asked a question. Don't start
volunteering information, as this throws off their work rhythm and confuses them,
causing more delay.

The Iceman