Re: Acoustic v electric

Full time pro guitarists don't practice that much with amps (other than band
practice and such).  That's because gigs count toward practice time.

I agree that we all need to put in time on our amps and mics.  The
techniques need to be developed and honed.  But a mistake a lot of beginners
make is putting ALL their time into practicing thru an amp, not so much to
develop technique but because they think the gear will compensate for weak
tone.  In the living room playing along with the stereo, it can sound pretty
good.  But take a bullet, bassman, and a wimpy acoustic tone/volume to a gig
or jam session (at loud "band" volume) and it all disappears in a morass of
feedback.

Someone a while back commented on James Cotton practicing harp backstage
(with no mic/amp), and how LOUD he was.

- -IronMan Mike Curtis BonTemps Blues Band  http://www.ironmancurtis.com
Southland Blues Magazine http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm (jam)
Starboard Attitude/Redondo Santa Monica 3rd St Promenade, various times
email my cellphone (2 lines max) ironmanc(a)vtext.com