From: owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of wmharps@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 12:33 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: electric vs acoustic

Rainbow Jimmy wrote:
> I never practice amplified harp. Don't like it. Disturbs
> the family because it's too loud, plus I have to turn stuff
> on. It's much easier to practice acoustic. Aside from holding
> a microphone and not using hand vibrato I don't find there's
> any real difference except volume.

My experience differs dramatically from this.  I used to think there was
very
little difference until I started setting my harps up for overbends.  I can
play these harps as hard as I want acoustically, and they don't choke off.
As
soon as I put a mic in my hands I start choking them.  I found that after
yaers
of practicing acoustically, I now need to practice amplified.

One thing that helps is having a place to leave the equipment set up.  I am
fortunate enough to have a very understanding wife, who has donated a large
part of one room of the house for my musical equipment (it doubles as the
computer room, which is fine with me).  My amplifier setup has separate
preamp
and power amp, so I can set the tone and volume separate.  I can play very
quietly enough that the kids can watch a movie in the next room.  I love
being
able to turn on the amp, plug in a mic, pull the harp out of my pocket and
play!

- -tim

- --
Harp-l is sponsored by SPAH, http://www.spah.org