Re: what zappa thought of hendrix (non-harp)

leone@xxxxxxxx writes:

<<   *Dear Steve, I think you're taking me wrong. See, when I was coming
 up the neighborhood was basically blue collar Italian-Polish-Jewish.
 We would more likely to be listening to Wes Montgomery, Charlie
 Christian, Django Rheinhardt. Even "Los Indios". When we weren't
 listening to "do-wop", it was Jazz or Motown.
   YOUR personal preferences are fine, in fact I have often said "I may
 not agree with what you play, but I will defend to my death your
 right to play it". (Sort of a take-off on Voltaire). Now as for
 Hendricks: Yes, I knew who he was but he wasn't MY cup of tea. IF I
 heard him on the radio, I would have switched the station. I prefer
 guitar played as a guitar and not a tool for riveting boilers
 together.
>snip<
 That's all I'm saying. Please remember, it's just my background writing.
 I'm sure, when we meet, we will get along "famously"..........smokey-joe >>

fair enough.  i misinterpreted your post, and to be honest, my response got a
bit snide.  for that, please accept my apologies.
it wasn't important to me that you might dislike either artist (or any
artist, really).  i'm with you in that everyone is entitled to a preference, and
they shouldn't need to defend it.  i was responding to what i took as a dismissal
of the artists.
and how could i ever not get along with someone who likes charlie christian,
van the man, motown, and doo-wop?
steven j gatorman