Re: Harp at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

adams_john@xxxxxxx writes:
<< As to the location, I agree Cleveland isn't the heart of Rock-n-Roll, but
if
 you were to pick a city that had the strongest influence on modern rock, I
 would choose SF or NY City over Memphis, Chicago or New Orleans.  I would
 agree that the "roots" of rock and roll were strong from these cities, but
 once R&R got started, other cities like SF and NYC had a greater influence
 on R&R. >>

okay, we're getting way off subject here, but the influence of particularly
memphis and new orleans run through rock&roll even today, and through that,
into country, back into blues, r&b, soul, and whatever else.
nyc's influence is larger in a business sense, in that most major record
companies were once located there, and that it became a recording mecca.  but much
of that talent was from other places.
the influence of frisco was limited to the late sixties psychedelic period.
not that important music hasn't continued to be from there, but not nearly in
the sense of being influential, let alone tremendously influential.  los
angeles would be able to stake a much larger claim, as it's been a recording
destination and business center for as long as nyc, and continues to this day.
if you haven't been to memphis, check it out, and think about how much of the
beginnings of rock&roll (and soul...and blues) coalesced in that area.  it's
staggering.

steven j gatorman