Re: sound man, was harp/tone

From: "the Leones" <leone@xxxxxxxx>

> >Iron Man
> >> Mike wrote:
> >
> >The loud band/stage is a relatively new phenomenon (of the last 40
years.)

>   This is DEFINITELY NOT meant as a correction, but 25 yrs would be closer

Well, the fact is that volume has been creeping upward, and during the
tenure of Hendrix, The Who, and Deep Purple, arguably reached a crescendo.
This would be closer to 30 years ago.

HOWEVER, it was in the late 50's and early 60's that larger guitar amps made
their appearance, and volume came WAY up from the almost acoustic levels of
years past.  We saw the debut of more powerful amps like the Fender Super
Reverb, Twin Reverb, Dual Showman, etc.  It culminated with the 100 watt
Marshall stack.  Pete Townshend ordered a custom 8x12" cab.  It sounded
great - but required a road crew that turned big green and mean every time
they got angry (which was every time they had to move the behemoth).  So
Pete had Jim cut it in half and make a pair of 4x12" cabs out of it.

- -IronMan Mike Curtis Band  http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues
Magazine http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm Starboard Attitude/Redondo
Santa Monica 3rd St Promenade, various times - email my cellphone (2 lines
max)
mailto:ironmanc@xxxxxxxxx