Tone Improvement

When the player moves his consciousness away from busywork at the front of
his mouth (what hole am I on, do I inhale or exhale, how is my tongue
supposed to lie?) and focuses towards his lower throat (the "Yawning" area),
into his diaphragm, and ultimately down to the soles of his feet (feeling the
push of the Earth upward), tone develops/deepens/improves.

Mental imagery also helps.

One Augusta Heritage student in class at Blues Week was a young caucasian
girl, very thin, about 105 lb. She had mastered the basics - single notes,
bending, rhythm grooves, elementary solos. However; her tone was thin and
reedy. I had her stand in the middle of the classroom, close her eyes and
imagine herself to be a 300 lb. African American woman. When she had this
visualization firmly in her mind, her body language changed. I then asked her
to play. What a difference. The whole class was amazed. Big improvement in
tone.

The Iceman