Tone

You know,
I've heard various opinions about what makes a good musician and it varies a
lot. As with what makes good music, or good tone... wateva.
I agree with Michael - this is really subjective.

So, I personally strive for:
* Feel - Expression from the heart & the whole point of playing music for me
* Phrasing (so very dependant on good timing) therefore saying something rather
than just clever techniques, riffs, tricks and bundles of notes - "building a
solo", working with the band, whatever.
* Tone - if you don't sound good people won't want to listen.

Because these are the things that matter the most to me and my own music. I will
build on these things into whatever directions I go in. But without them I won't
enjoy my own music and won't get anywhere.

I enjoy listening to a range of music (and musicians) for many different
reasons.
But if it doesn't stir something in my heart I get bored and it becomes
pointless albeit sometimes clever noise to me.

I have found that way more can be said in the way a few notes are played using
expression, phasing & tone than some incredible musicians I've heard fitting in
as many clever notes as they can fit, reducing a wordless form of expression
into technical gymnastics and a form of mathmatical exercises at high speed.
*YAWN*

This applies to any style.

Just to add to the mix of opinions.
G.

PS.  Sonny Terry's tone rocks.  SBW II's tone rocks.  etc.
And Miles Davis is da man.