Kalamazoo

I was over in Georgia this week on business.  My service technician (a
drummer) wanted to stop in a pawn shop to look around.  While we were there
we spotted a Kalamazoo Model Two amp that was all original including the
speaker which had the sticker with the serial number on it (the speaker wires
had never been re-soldered even). Now keep in mind, I don't need a 5 watt
amp. Schematic in great shape, two prong cord that would have to be changed
out, a little beat up, but to be expected since they are mid 1960s.  I didn't
have a harp mic with me and they didn't have anything that would plug in
except a guitar.  We plugged in a guitar, I played a little SBW II and
everything was fine except the tremolo.  We beat the guy up on that and got
it down where I could walk out with it for $89.  I figured for that money I
could unload it somewhere on ebay if I didn't like it, but I really didn't
want to fool with it actually.  Service Tech/drummer pulled a $100 bill out
of HIS pocket and said "I'll loan you the money if you don't want to write
him a check."  What could I do?  I hauled the amp around for two days and
last night I got back home, sneaked it past my wife and blew through it to
see what I had.  I want to apologize to all you guys I have read posting
about your Kalamazoo.  I thought you guys were overstating your case.  I
don't think you are.  I have owned a tweed Fender 1959 Champ and this
Kalamazoo sounds like the Champ to me.  For about $600 less money, that makes
the Kalamazoo a bargain if your just looking for results.  From a collectors
standpoint or an investment standpoint, I am sure the Fender will yield
better results in the long term.  It looks to me like these amps would sure
make a great recording session.  I am going to be in the studio a couple of
times this year and this complicates things for me.<grin>  All those
Kalamazoo guys are smarter than you think they are guys.  If you catch on in
original condition such as this, be sure and check it out to see how it
sounds.  You might be pleasantly pleased if your lucky.  I would ask what do
you need to do to improve this amps sound, but I am doing nothing, nada,
zero, zip.  I am not changing a tube one.  I am not even going to try and
make the tremolo work.  I am going to just play it just like I found it.  I
don't think those 12AX7 tubes are original, but they seem to be worn in to
the point to where they sound just right to me and I am not going to trouble
trouble 'til trouble troubles me.  It's just too bad they can't be 50 watt,
tweed, finger jointed pine cabinet, $89 and 40 lbs.  I'm going to call my
Service Technician up and tell him I'm going to put a stop payment on that
check because the amp reeks and it's his fault I bought that piece of junk.
Best regards,
Boogie