TED DROZDOWSKI's review

Dear Scott,

This e-mail is in support of your book and the reply to Ted Drozdowski.  I have
read the book.  It is a fascinating account with significant insights into LW's
music.  This helped advance my musical skills.  Thank you for clarifying many
of the musical problems that have baffled even highly trained professional
musicians.

Mr. Drozdowski's plea for a more emotional view of LW is understandable due to
the charismatic Blues Man appeal.  The issue is that you did cover it
eloquently.  You reiterated your findings in your reply that he was an
individual who was expressive through his music.  Any other opinion would be
speculative.

You and your colleagues took an ethical approach.  You did not speculate or
practice a remote form of pseudo-psychiatric assesment.   This could have
romanticized the book.  It would have led to inaccurate speculation in printed
form.  Others are now free to speculate as Mr. Drozdowski has done on the
possibile etiologies for LW's problems. That is a successful result. In essence
you provided the structure for others to exercise their imagination. His
criticism can be viewed as a challenge to others to write another book that
hopefully would factually cover his questions. From the depth of your research
that does not seem possible.

I am a board certified psychiatrist. Any other approach to your fine work would
be unethical and pandering.  This is unfortunately a part of our culture.  How
many times have we seen mental health professionals rendering public opinions
to the press on individuals that THEY NEVER INTERVIEWED OR EVEN WORSE BREAKING
CONFIDENTIALITY ON A CELEBRITY CASE TO GARNER FAME FOR THEMSELVES.

Thank you for sparing us such trivial gossip.  Remaining factual and for your
ethical values.

Sincerely,

Dennis "Doc" Alters, MD