Cross harp in history.

M. N. wrote:

> ... I simply want some clarification on whether or not
> cross-harp playing existed in the 1860s or whether (as is stuck in my head
> for some reason) playing the harmonica in the "wrong" key came about after
> the turn of the century.

We have discussed this a few times in the past and the answer is that we
don't know.  Recorded music start after harmonica, all the players of the
day are dead and nobody came up with anything written about it.

My guess is that cross harp was probably invented very quickly.  It's a cool
sound and anybody with an ear for cool sounds would figure it out.  19th
century people were probably just as curious and creative as 20th century
people.

Sam