Re: Music in movies

I wrote wrote:
>"I'm just wondering how historically accurate it is to feature
>second-position harmonica in a film about the 1860s. I thought cross-harp
>playing only came about after the turn of the century."

Then Sam wrote:
"'Gangs of New York' is not history. Even if it was music is usually not
used to reenact a musical performance but to set an emotional mode."

Whatever, Sam. My question has very little to do with the movie itself, or
movies in general. I simply want some clarification on whether or not
cross-harp playing existed in the 1860s or whether (as is stuck in my head
for some reason) playing the harmonica in the "wrong" key came about after
the turn of the century.
MN