Re: Who is correct? Bassman speakers

In a message dated 1/13/2003 5:56:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Markburness@xxxxxxx writes:

> Hi Boogie,
>
> As long as you have 2x10" speakers that can handle the power (20W plus,
> each), yes it's perfectly feasible to run a 45W amp into 2x10's. I used to
> have a Bandmaster Reverb (45W) that I ran into a 2x10 cab that had a great
> tone (could put many a Bassman to shame). Fender's Custom Shop Vibrolux and
> Vibroverb re-issue are both 40W into 2x10 and I know of harp players that
> use
> both to great effect.
>
> All things being equal, 4x10's will give a tighter punchier sound and will
> feel physically bigger as they are pushing twice the air of 2x10's. The
> 2x10's will be more compressed, maybe fatter sounding with more speaker
> distortion as they're obviously being worked twice as hard.
>
> As regards volume, there's probably little to choose though the 4x10 may be
> easier to hear on stage. 10's are very directional and unless you have your
> ears right in front of your 2x10 cab you might not appreciate just how loud
> it is.
>
> Both Kendrick (model 2210) and Holland (Westside 35) amps both make a
> version
> of the Bassman with 2x10's. Victoria also make a 35W 2x10 version of a 50's
> Fender Super, which has a similar circuit to the pre-'59 Bassman.

Mark,
This is what Harp-L is all about.  Talk about an informative post.  I hope
there are some people taking notes out there.  You really gave out a wealth
of information about amps there.  I have tried the Victoria version of the
Super and it was okay. I haven't seen a Kendrick that I wanted yet.   My main
concern was just about the speaker selection process among manufacturers, but
what you have shared here is marvelous.  The one thing that you leave out of
the equation is that as players get older they tend to like to travel
lighter.  It is a trade-off.  It isn't the best amp in the world, but I have
a '63 Fender Bassman 6G6 A that I modified into a cabinet (combo with two 10"
speakers) and I am trying to get the best speakers for that amp that I can.
I have been through a lot of health problems with prostate cancer the last
two years and I sold off nearly every good amp I owned except for a tweed
Harvard.  I was just looking to improve the tone of the speakers in the
Bassman.  I have Mojotone M10RR's in there now and I think there is a better
speaker out there if I look hard.  I am not looking to buy another amp.
Best regards,
Boogie