RE: HTML & Attachments

While I do see the problem with downloading *large* emails (my connection is possibly one of the slowest on the list) I did think the Dilbert strip was funny - and not at all large.  It encoded at about 25 kb.

On a 36 kb modem it should only take about 6-10 seconds to download, if people can't or don't know how to view attachments that is a whole other issue.  GIF encoding has been a network standard since Compuserve's heyday in the mid-80's.

Maybe we need an official ruling from the powers-that-be: are attachments allowed?

HTML is another issue as well, some people do not use HTML-compliant mail readers and cannot (easily) comprehend such messages.  Again, a ruling is in order.

A mailserver can (usually) be configured to block attachments and block or strip HTML, by the way.
It is dependant on the system in use.

Lonesome Dave
Harp Man by night
(Computer Network Engineer by day...)