Why do LO's last longer than MB's?

I have noticed that LO's hold up better too.  Perhaps because LO reeds are
shorter and wider than MB/SP20 reeds, they also appear to be more robust...
thicker? They are certainly stiffer.  One can notice the difference
immediately when gapping.

Another interesting factoid, it appears to me that the volume of the
comb/air chamber in relation to the size of the reed opening is much larger
in a LO than in a MB/SP20.

I think LO makes a fine harp, but I don't like the equal tuning.

Blunt