Re: Tubes

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Grbullets2@xxxxxxx=20
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx=20
  Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 10:53 PM
  Subject: Re: Tubes

  In a message dated 1/10/2003 8:36:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, =
bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:=20

      Those Tung Sol made 5881's, IMHO, are gold in in 4-10 Bassman.=20

      Sincerely,=20
      Barbeque Bob Maglinte=20
      Boston, MA=20

         Well Bob I put them in today and tried them out only to be very =
pleasantly surprised at the sound.I've tried many different type of =
6L6's,military ones,black plate ones,the large and small coke bottle =
style tubes and none sounded as good as the GE 5881's.Tha closest ones =
to the GE's were a pair of National Union large coke bottle type but =
they weren't really that close to the GE's.The new "Canadian"tubes =
sounded incredible.I had planned on saving them and putting the US tubes =
back in but since I bought 4 of them,I'm leaving them in and saving the =
US made ones.Do you or antone know how to date these tubes.A couple are =
still readable and there are some #'s which I don't recall off =
hand.Thanks for the comments and I look forward to more.Thanks.....Dave=20
    Hi Dave,
    Again, if those have the brown base, they're actually made by Tung =
Sol, the OE in them, and they;re getting harder to score everyday and =
the price sure ain;t dropping. I'm really not sure about how you can =
date them, but if you had the box, there may be a manufacturing date on =
them, as I've seen this on a number GE's and RCA's. I'd field this =
question to the goodeople at Angela Instruments, who also happen  to be =
one of my first places to go to for NOS tubes http://www.angela.com and =
they have quite the few plus some other goodies of interest.

    The only new manufactured tubes I'd use in a Bassman if I couldn't =
get NOS Tung Sols (be it under their name, GE< RCA or anybody else), or =
NOS Phillips/Sylvania 5881's, would be the Svetlana 6L6GCs's, which are =
WAY better quality than the other Russian tube factory that produces the =
widely available 5881 being market uthru a number oif companies =
including Ruby. They;re sonically somewhere between the sound of a 60's =
NOS GE and a 60's NOS RCA.
    Sincerely,
    Barbeque Bob Maglinte
    Boston, MA