Re: Smicz TADS to tame a 59 Bassman RI?

Chris Hammond wrote:

> I had an amp tech add a potentiometer which varied the voltage applied to
> the phase inverter tube on my Bassman RI.  This works great to give you fat
> tone on the bassman at low volumes.  I am not sure of the circuit (maybe
> someone on the list can enlighten us)

It's called a pre-phase inverter master volume and is indeed a quick and easy
way to add a master volume as long as you have a suitable place to put the
potentiometer.  Just installed one recently on a Princeton Reverb.  IMO it
doesn't work well if you plan on over attenuating the overall volume, that is
running the volume say less than half.  Below that the sound gets too muddy but
if you just keep it slightly attenuated it does allow you to dial in a nice fat
crunch at a somewhat lower volume.  Post PI master volumes are better and have a
more even overall response but are much more complicated and difficult to
install, requiring several additional capacitors, resistors, a dual ganged pot
and a place to install all of it on the circuit board.  The pre PI master volume
only requires a 1 meg pot and a short length of suitable wire, you simply
replace the 1 meg grid leak resistor on the input grid of the phase inverter
with the 1 meg pot, not perfect but an easy mod.

Regards,
Don D.