Re: harp-l-digest V10 #30

- ----------
>From: owner-harp-l-digest@xxxxxxxxxx (harp-l-digest)
>To: harp-l-digest@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: harp-l-digest V10 #30
>Date: Sun, Jan 5, 2003, 11:31 AM
>

> Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 10:32:29 EST
> From: Windsaver@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Super Reverb Question, Take 2

Windesaver said-

 The power
> attenuators reduce the voltage to the amp which makes the electronics run at
> the wrong specs.  The "power soaks" are not great either.

Most attenuators (power soaks) are not power attenuators in that they reduce the
amps operating voltages, but are devices that are inserted between the amp's
speaker out connector and the speakers.   The device that reduces operating
voltage is a variable autotransformer or "Variac" (a brand name)- these are
generally considered unwise to use.

An amp speaker output is intended to drive a certain speaker load, and a good
attenuator will emulate that load.  A consequence of using an attenuator is that
the amp is used at a high output level- this is the goal- get saturated tone at
a lower volume and/or without feedback.  Tube life is reduced when an amp is
operated at high output.  This is not a major concern for me, and perhaps not
for others.   I think an attenuator like the Weber MASS is very useful for the
Bassman RI (BTW- I have no relationship etc with Weber VST).  It did not seem to
do much good with my SR.

Jim R