Re: 12th instead of 3rd

Hi Mike,
     12th and 11th are often overlooked positions.  Maybe because
their numbers are high?  Or because the tonic (resolution note) of
each requires bending in the first octave?  These are why I
overlooked them for many years.

     But if you think about it, they are as close to the named key of
the harp --- on the cycle of fifths and in terms of the number of
shared scale tones --- as are 2nd and 3rd positions, respectively.
What a shame to ignore them!

     For blues hounds, 12th position shines on blues and early jazz
tunes originating in Kansas City (such as "Kansas City Blues"!) and
New Orleans, as well as jump blues, and big-band blues such as sung
by Big Joe Williams.  These use the dominant (blues) 7th chord and
scale tone far less frequently than do Chicago, Delta and modern
blues, and blues-influenced rock; instead they have melodies and
harmonies that tend to accentuate the 6th, M7th, and 9th scale tones.
If 2nd position fails you on such major-scale tunes, if it has you
grabbing for a file to pitch-raise hole 5 draw, or to lower gaps in
that hole for the overblow, then you ought to also consider using
12th position on a harp pitched a whole tone higher.

Nice to reconnect, Mike!  I sent a novice to your website and she's
been raving about it for a week!

- -John

Mike Will wrote