Re: Super Reverb Question, Take 2

Chris,

I know of harp players who have used the same, two tube, class AB amp with
just one power tube for years with no problems. The likelyhood of causing
real damage at the low volumes that an otherwise stock amp achieves for harp
is actually pretty low, check plate voltages if you're worried. For all those
guys wondering how they can make their class AB into class A, this is the
simplest method. On a multi speaker amp it is adviseable to disconnect half
the speakers (double the speaker load) to prevent the tubes seeing a shorted
circuit (you would really be best advised to do the same thing if pulling the
outer 2 tubes on a Twin). Having said all that, I personally do not care for
this kind of set up.

A "pentode/triode" switch or a "fixed/cathode bias" switch could be installed
by a tech relatively cheaply and would make the amp more useful at lower
volumes.

Speakers are the most costly components in a Super Reverb, I would want to be
sure that all the other components were functioning as desired before
shelling out $350+ for "different" ones. Ceramic vs Alnico, Jensen vs
Eminence vs Oxford...it's really subjective territory.

Regards, Mark B.