Re: 3rd Position

Well, you already found out that on a D harp you'd be
playing in E,
with Draw 1 or 4 as your home note.

The draw notes in 4-5-6 and again in 8-9-10 give you
an E minor
chord. The added note in Draw 7 (and in 3) is not a
minor note. The E
minor scale you get in this position is not pure
minor; it has one
major note and this is it. This actually adds nicely
to the E minor
chord to give it a haunting effect. But you have to be
careful
playing that note over an A minor chord - which is an
important chord
in the key of E minor. The note in Draw 3 and 7 is C#,
which clashes
with the C natural in the A minor chord (A-C-E).

The notes in Draw 2 and 3 are A and C#. Together with
the E note in
Draw 1 and 4, they make an A major chord. The funny
thing is, these
notes works as "extenders" to the E minor chord, at
least in jazz and
to a lesser extent in blues. The bend down nicely from
A to G in HOle
2 and C# to B in Hole 3, giving you notes of the E
minor chord (E-G-
B). So you have a nice open E minor6th (C# being the 6
- - counting up
from E: 1-2-3-4-5-6 = E-F#-G-A-B-C#) on most of the
draw notes, and a
couple of nice bends to give you the two missing ones.

Because you have such a nice open chord on the draw
notes, try
playing split intervals and tongue block and lift
effects on this
chord over an E bass note or chord.

Try playing over an E chord - minor or major - playing
minor over a
major chord is very bluesy, and work the notes of the
draw chord,
then try making excursions into the blow notes, first
as go-and-come-
back neighbor-next-dorr trips from the draw notes,
then as part of
licks and scale passages.

WInslow

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Steve
Macmillan
<icebat_88@xxxx> wrote:

> I'm looking for help,scales, tunes in 3rd position.
> I can play 1st and 2nd fairly well and am looking
for