Re: Tongue Block Bends

OK, the advice below begs the question: WHY is it
important to do TB
bends from the back of the throar and to avoid doing
it in the mouth?

Winslow

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Richard
Sampson
<rsampson@xxxx> wrote:

> It takes a LOT of practice to do TB bending
proficiently, meaning
bends
> that are clean and in pitch.  Having said that, I
would offer a few
tips
> to point you in the right direction.
>
> 1.  Resist the temptation to use your mouth to
assist in the bend.
Proper
>     TB bends are created very far back in the
throat.

> 2.  Try to get as much of the harp in your mouth as
you can.  This
helps
>     the in bending by ensuring an airtight seal
between your mouth
and the
>     harp.  If you are leaking air, this technique
will be much more
>     difficult.  I also feel that this improves tone.
>
> 3.  Try practicing with a chromatic tuner.
>
> 4.  PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.  This is a difficult
technique and
really
>     takes quite some time to master.  Persistent
practice and good
ears
>     will
>     get you there, but like so many techniques on
the harp, there
are no
>     shortcuts.
>
> Good luck,
>
> R.S
>
> On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Paul Cantin wrote:
>

> > Any tips on how to bend using the tongue block
embouchure
especially holes
> > 2and 3.
> > I can't seem to bring it down to pitch with
control.