Re: Reed sound, where does it come from?

jimbeauharp@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< I notice that when I test the re-tuned reeds on the comb without the
 coverplates, the pitch seems sharper than when I put the coverplates back
 on. As a result, I try to pinch the coverplates on the reedplates and comb
 when I do my final tests so I don't put the whole harp back together only to
 discover the re-tuned reed sounds flat.
  Has anyone else experienced this? >>

tim moyers has already replied, but to be honest, i had never thought of this
until tim's post a couple of weeks ago on this very subject.  sure enough
it's true.
someone mentioned getting binder clamps to hold the harp together whilst
testing.  pretty good idea, but i just hold it together like a sandwich...

steven j gatorman