Tacky question

How do you protect your mouth and lips from irritation.  I know this is
gross, but important.  During times of stress or low immunity, some of us
are prone to cold sores around lips.  I've been told NOT to use lip balm, as
it gunks up the holes in the reeds. I would prefer to gunk up the harp,
rather than irritate my mouth.  Any lip protection recommended?  Are some
protectants easier to clean off the harp, than others?

And more importantly, is there a protectant that can be used during
outbreaks, to avoid further irritation.  I lost practice time during the flu
(and stress) seasons last year.

- --A, Calif.