Re: Finding music when you travel

Larry Boy says:
>When I travel on "business", I always look for a local Blues Society on the
>internet. They usually have local blues clubs listed. By searching the site
>and linked club sites, I develop a listing of open mics. So bring yer harps!
>and tell us about your experience.
>
>Another tip is to find the local rag. Baltimore and DC have a "City Paper".
>New Orleans has "The Gambit". These local papers have all the shows, clubs,
>venues you could ever want.

Many of these local "entertainment" papers also have good websites.  The Austin
(Texas) Chronicle for instance, at http://www.auschron.com/, has an excellent
club listings section, which shows open mics, among the local acts.  And while
I agree that generally steering clear of road shows and national acts gives you
a better sense of the local flavor of a city, be aware that people you
consider "big names" have to live somewhere, and you might just find one of
these folks playing in a local venue, like Gary Primich at Gruene Hall.

- -tim
www.workingmansharps.com