re: vibrato

Interesting, G.  But this is but one of three "throat vibrato"
techniques that have been described on Harp-L.  Another has  been
taught as being a variation on saying "oi yoi yoi yoi", and a third
as being a series of little coughs, or like saying "uh uh uh uh".
Contrasting these is diaphragm vibrato, which has been described as
being like saying "huh huh huh huh".

This is an area of technicianship where the present terms are
inadequate.  New terms would help.

Of course, these descriptions don't quite cover what goes on for draw
note, since people don't usually speak while breathing in, but it
isn't hard to generalize them to draw notes.

Regards,
John

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 19:04:07 +1300, G. wrote:
>Throat Vibrato: ...
>Start by simple opening your mouth and using the back of your tongue
>against your throat to say "K'...K'...K'..." like you're about to
>say "King" OR "Gh...Gh...Gh..." like you're about to say "Goat" OR
>"'ch...'ch...'ch" as in the "Lochness Monster".
>Whatever works best for you. Try to keep a slow rhythm. Practise
>regularly. When you can keep a constant rhythm going for a half
>minute or so its time to speed to soften it so that the harsher part
>of the consonant is lost, but without losing the definition of the
>vibrato. As you keep practising try to increase your pace. Increase
>it to a point where you're just about tripping up, and keep at that
>for a week, and so forth.
>
>(Thanks to Paul Farmer for teaching me this technique)

John Thaden
jjthaden@xxxxxxxxx
Little Rock, Arkansas USA